Important note: As of 3/8/19 we are allowing the use of two factor authetication for your school issued Google account. Please note that we are not forcing this at this time but will at some point in the future require staff set this up to ensure we are doing our due diligence when it comes to account security.
To setup two factor authentication you must have the following ready:
- Your school issued iPad or a personal Android or iPhone
- Google iOS or Android App and optionally the Google Authenticator app (both are needed initially if you chose to use the Authenticator app)
- Mobile phone number
- Using your school issued MacBook open Safari or Google Chrome browse to https://account.google.com and sign into your school issued account
- On the left hand side navigation bar click on Security
- On the Security page click on 2-Step Verification under the Signing in to Google section.
- Choose GET STARTED on the next page to continue
- As an added security measure Google will require you to provide your password again. Enter it and click Next
- On your device of choice open the Google app.
- With the app open click the avatar icon in the upper right hand corner, sign in and accept all default prompts
- Going back to your Mac you will now see any iOS or Android device that has logged into the Google app.
- Click on TRY IT NOW on that same page to see it in action (note if enough time has passed you may be required to enter your password again)
- This message will appear anytime you sign into your Google account. Simply press Yes to continue the signing in process.
- Back on your Mac they will now request you do one of two things: 1. Enter your mobile phone number for a text or phone call 2. Use backup codes (choose the USE ANOTHER BACKUP OPTION). Please note that you cannot enter the schools phone number for this. The number is not shared and is only used for 2-Step verification. For those concerned about privacy you may use backup codes but you will be exposing yourself to potential support problems in the future if you misplace this or don't record it.
- If using a phone for text or voice calls enter it now, and press send. Once the six digit code appears or is read back to you enter it on your Mac.
- Finally press TURN ON to complete the process.
- OPTIONAL: If you would like to use the Google Authenticator app scroll down on the 2-Step verification page on your Mac until you reach the Set up alternative second step
- Click SET UP under Authenticator app and choose your phone type (iPad users select iPhone)
- You may be required to enter your password again to continue.
- A popup window will appear with a QR code in it.
- Open the Google Authenticator app on your device and press Begin Setup
- Choose Scan Barcode and position the QR code on your Mac's screen inside the green square to scan it.
- On your Mac enter the six digit code displayed in the Authenticator app and press Verify. Do note that these codes expire after a short period of time.
- Click Done you're finished!
Do note that 2-Step verification will be prompted every-time a sign in is required. If you find this obtrusive please make sure you check the remember this device checkbox or button when signing in.